[IGSSTATION-4350] BRMU meta data error without a simple solution

Giovanni Sella Giovanni.Sella at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 15 09:27:18 PDT 2011

Author: Giovanni Sella

Dear Colleagues,
  I have become aware of an error in the site log for station BRMU, but
after quite a bit of research and consultation an obvious solution does
not exist.

  The radome UNAV that was at the site is no longer there. We have
pictures (geodesy.noaa.gov/CORS type in BRMU) taken in December 2006
that indicate there is no radome on the antenna. We have been able to
confirm with retired personnel that installed the equipment that they
are quite sure that the antenna and radome were installed back
2003-03-12. This is consistent with paper records within NGS and the IGS
mail information. What is unknown is when the radome was removed, blown
off between 2003 and December 2006. We do know that hurricane Florence
hit Bermuda on 6 September 2006 and may have resulted in the radome
being removed. There is no offset present in any NGS or other analysis
groups time-series to pinpoint the data that the radome may have been lost.

  We have reprocessed selected data after 2003-03-12 using a PCV with
and without the radome hoping to find an obvious cross-over point in the
time-series, but that failed.

  In discussion with IGS ACC and IGS08 RF group I'm asking the community
if they have any information or advice to give to identify the break. I
will allow for 2 weeks i.e. Friday 29 April 2011 for anyone to give me
feedback. If no solution is presented I will update the log to reflect a
loss of the radome on 2006-09-06 the data of Hurricane Florence (i.e.
adding a section 4.3).

  I apologize for this error and the inability to identify the problem
sooner and when it might have occurred.

  I look forward to your comments/suggestions.

  Giovanni
--
Giovanni Sella, Ph.D.
CORS Program Manager,