[IGSMAIL-7644] AGU Panel Participation - request for interest in serving on Space-Based Observing Systems panel

Lemoine, Frank G. (GSFC-61A0) frank.g.lemoine at nasa.gov
Wed Jun 27 13:01:08 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to invite expressions of interest in serving as an invited panelist for our 2018 AGU Fall Meeting panel session entitled “The Future of Space-Based Observing Systems for Solid-Earth Dynamics” (session description below).  For those in the community who are interested in presenting as a panelist, please send an email to the session convenors by Monday, July 9th with a paragraph describing your presentation topic.
The conveners will invite up to eight panelists by mid-July.

Per AGU rules for panel format sessions, no unsolicited abstracts will be accepted for this session.

G022. The Future of Space-Based Observing Systems for Solid-Earth Dynamics

Space-based geodetic measurements have greatly advanced solid-Earth science. These observations underpin our understanding of tectonic and magmatic processes, mass movement, and vertical land deformation. The 2017 Decadal Survey for Earth Science and Applications from Space and other foundational community documents challenge the community to seek the next set of breakthroughs in these areas. The Survey calls for geodetic solutions to several priority questions focused on sea level rise, surface dynamics, geologic hazards, disasters, and landscape change. Several Targeted Observables and associated Measurement Approaches (e.g., gravity, radar, lidar) needed over the next decade were identified to answer these questions. The Survey and other community reports have also made recommendations for the future of geodetic networks (e.g., GNSS, VLBI, SLR).  This session will include a panel discussion and we invite discussion of the next-generation mission and network architectures that the community is exploring, including trade-offs in spatial and temporal resolution, and cost.

Thank you on behalf of the Session Convenors,

Susan Owen, NASA/JPL, Susan.Owen at jpl.nasa.gov
Benjamin Phillips, NASA, ben.phillips at nasa.gov
David Sandwell, UCSD, dsandwell at ucsd.edu
Jeanne Sauber, NASA/Goddard, Jeanne.M.Sauber-Rosenberg at nasa.gov