[IGSMAIL-4055]: NASA Solid Earth Science WG Report - available for final review

John LaBrecque jlabrecq at hq.nasa.gov
Thu Aug 22 14:16:54 PDT 2002

IGS Electronic Mail      22 Aug 14:21:10 PDT 2002      Message Number 4055

Author: John LaBrecque

August 21, 2002

Dear Colleagues,

The penultimate draft of Living on a Restless Planet , the blue
ribbon Solid Earth Science Working Group's (SESWG) long term vision
for NASA's solid Earth Science program, is available for review and
comment at http://solidearth.jpl.nasa.gov.  I encourage you to
carefully review this document and to comment on the report directly
to the SESWG at seswg at hq.nasa.gov. The report will be available for
review through September 30, 2002.

In the words of Sean Solomon, the SESWG committee chairman:

"NASA has an opportunity to make key observations that can
revolutionize our ability to characterize, monitor, and forecast
changes in our planet's surface. In recognition of that opportunity,
Dr. Ghassem Asrar, the NASA Associate Administrator for the Office of
Earth Sciences, appointed the SESWG in the summer of 2000. The SESWG
was charged " to guide the science community in the development of a
recommended long-term vision and strategy for solid-Earth science at
NASA.

In the course of our deliberations, the working group sought the
advice of experts both within NASA and from other organizations. We
briefed our scientific colleagues at two national meetings and we
maintained a report of our progress on an open Web site to invite
comments and suggestions from the broad scientific community. The
SESWG report is the working group's response to our charge. We hope
you agree that this "long-term vision and strategy for solid-Earth
science at NASA not only is scientifically compelling but offers the
potential to improve humankind's ability to thrive on our restless
planet."

Following the comment period, Living on a  Restless Planet will
undergo one final revision before publication.  The document will
then serve as a guide in developing a stronger and more focused NASA
Solid Earth and Natural Hazards Program.

I wish to express my sincere appreciation to the SESWG scholars and
to all those who contributed to this report.  There were many long
hours filled with enjoyable, stimulating, and sometimes contentious
scientific discussions that brought us to this near final draft.
Please read it and  provide us with your comments.

John LaBrecque, Manager
Solid Earth and Natural Hazards Program

--
Dr. John L. LaBrecque, Manager