[IGSMAIL-0678] Apparent McMurdo (and Richmond?) Data Problems (Retry)

Stephen Stephen
Fri Jul 15 13:58:37 PDT 1994

IGS Electronic Mail      Fri Jul 15 13:58:37 PDT 1994      Message Number 0678

Author: Stephen Peck
Subject: Apparent McMurdo (and Richmond?) Data Problems (Retry)

(Retransmission) Last message was garbled.

The McMurdo point-position solutions derived from the pseudorange data have
intermittently exhibited a slow "wandering" with about a 100 meter amplitude
and 4 to 6 hour period.  The pseudorange data and phase data are self-
consistent, causing us to suspect both the pseudorange and phase data.  The
following days exhibited this symptom: May 17 through May 20, June 2 through
June 7 and June 28 through July 14 (last day currently validated).  Similar
symptoms appeared in data from Richmond (RCM5) from June 29 through July 8.
Caution is suggested when using MCMU or RCM5 data.

We have begun implementing data validation checks for the Global Network
Operations System (GNOS).  Preliminary checks found this apparent problem
with the data from McMurdo and Richmond.  We will continue to try to diagnose
this problem and post IGS notices when we have further pinpointed or
eliminated this problem.

Stephen Peck                       Telephone:   (818) 354 2347
GPS Networks & Operations Group    FAX:         (818) 393 4965
Jet Propulsion Laboratory          Email:       srp at cheryb.jpl.nasa.gov
4800 Oak Grove Dr.
Pasadena, CA 91109