[IGSSTATION-7671] KUUJ: Decommissioning. Replaced by KUJ2.

Elson, Stuart (NRCan/RNCan) stuart.elson at canada.ca
Wed May 29 13:14:02 PDT 2019

Author: Stuart Elson

Dear Colleagues,

We recently received notification that the community in Kuujjuarapik, QC Canada will be performing a residential expansion in the location of our GNSS monument and station KUUJ (40154M001).  Construction will be starting in the next few weeks.  We expect KUUJ to be fully decommissioned by ~June 15th.
We are planning on creating a new GNSS monument and station ~1.2km NNE of KUUJ on the same rock formation.   This new station will be called KUJ2 (40154M002).  It will be an aluminum pillar anchored to exposed bedrock.

We apologize for the abrupt notification but this has come as a surprise to us.  We hope the new KUJ2 station will be adopted by the IGS.

More details regarding the decommissioning of KUUJ and the new KUJ2 station will follow.

Kind Regards,
Stuart Elson

Geodetic Engineer, Canadian Geodetic Survey
Natural Resources Canada/Government of Canada
stuart.elson at canada.ca<mailto:stuart.elson at canada.ca> / Tel: (613) 799-4761

Ingénieur en géodésie, Levés géodésiques du Canada
Ressources naturelles Canada/Gouvernement du Canada
stuart.elson at canada.ca<mailto:stuart.elson at canada.ca> / Tél: (613) 799-4761