[IGSSTATION-5529] recent Rinex 2 station data file problems from streams ...

Nacho Romero nacho at canaryadvancedsolutions.com
Mon Sep 9 07:15:24 PDT 2013

Dear all, (sorry for cross-posting!)

Please note that we had recently incidents with the RINEX data stored in
the BKG repository.  Some files coming from streamed data where stored
as hourly and data Rinex 2 files in the BKG data center something which
is not welcomed in the IGS except in very limited circumstances (some
MGEX Rinex 3 stations)

Additionally the data that was being stored in the RINEX files had the
antenna pattern applied bythe tracking receiver making the measurements
unsuitable for RINEX storage, and this circumstance caused processing
problems at several IGS ACs in particular for stations KOUC and NRMD.

The BKG have now addressed this problem and from my recent spot checks
no BNC files are available in their IGS daily data repository, but
before that note that up to 12 stations could come from "streams" (i.e.
for 234 before the data purge the affected stations were;
auck2340.13oazu12340.13obraz2340.13ochti2340.13odaej2340.13odund2340.13ohueg2340.13okouc2340.13omobs2340.13onrmd2340.13osuwn2340.13owgtn2340.13o)

checking for the recent week 1755 the data for KOUC and NRMD is as follows;

for wk1755 (d237 -> d243):

CDDIS; KOUC and NRMD from streams on d241 !!
IGN; KOUC and NRMD from streams on d241 !!
BKG;   no KOUC or NRMD data all week.

the CDDIS and IGN DCs have been warned to remove the d241 files for
these two stations and hopefully correct alternatives can be found.

Therefore I would recommend that all IGS data users check their data
repository for stations with the string "BNC" in the header to ensure
that they fully understand the source of thedata and in case of doubt
re-download the affected data files. Correct data files are available
now in the Data Centers, and the affected files have been removed from
the BKG repositories.  They are implementing procedures to prevent this
problem from happening again.

This is important to avoid applying the antenna pattern twice to the
affected stations' data.

please let me know if there is anything else to clarify or address ...

--
Best regards,
Nacho

Ignacio (Nacho) Romero