[IGSMAIL-4992]: Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:57:39 +0100

David Lavallee D.A.Lavallee at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri Oct 20 14:25:57 PDT 2017

IGS Electronic Mail      10 Aug 10:42:52 PDT 2004      Message Number 4992

Author: David Lavellee

Dear Colleagues

We would like to draw your attention to the following session at the
Fall AGU.

"GPS time series: Signal and Noise"

GPS time series are the convolution of instrumental noise and a growing
number of detectable geophysical signals which operate on varying
temporal and spatial scales. While one type of signal is of interest to
a particular analysis group it may just be systematic error to another.
Interpretation of the GPS data then depends on our ability to extract a
signal of interest (usually tectonics or ground deformation associated
with global change) from the total observed signal.

This session will highlight two issues: 1) the difficulties associated
with extracting a chosen geophysical signal from GPS time series in the
presence of noise and other signals; and 2) subsequent interpretation of
the chosen signal. Papers which address the characterization of noise in
GPS time series e.g. hydrostatic zenith delay and its gradient, the
ionosphere, multipath, antenna phase center variations, reference frame
miss-modelling, etc. as well as papers focusing on the interpretation of
GPS data in terms of global change (e.g. surface mass loading, post
glacial rebound, tectonics, etc.) are encouraged. Additionally papers
exploiting the combination of GPS with other crustal deformation
techniques to extract and analyze a signal are particularly welcome.

This session should be particularly relevant to members of the IGS
community, and we would encourage you to submit an abstract by the 9th
September deadline.

Details of the AGU Fall meeting are at http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm04/

Regards

David Lavallee and Tonie van Dam

-----
David Lavallee

School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 7RU

email; d.a.lavallee at ncl.ac.uk
Tel; +44 (0) 191 222 8203