[IGSMAIL-5235]: AFREF - Call for Participation Available!

Ruth E. Neilan ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 20 16:59:29 PDT 2005

IGS Electronic Mail      20 Oct 20:13:15 PDT 2005      Message Number 5235

Author: Ruth Neilan on behalf of Dozie Ezigbalike  & the AFREF
Steering Committee

The Committee on Development Information (CODI) of the United Nations
Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) supports AFREF as the unified
geodetic reference frame for Africa and as the fundamental basis for
the national and regional 3D reference networks fully consistent and
homogeneous with the International Terrestrial Reference Frame (ITRF)
Standards.

Dear colleagues,

The Call for Participation in the Unification of African Reference Frames -
'Project AFREF' - is available at this website:
	http://geoinfo.uneca.org/afref/
The text of the cover letter is included below.

AFREF is endorsed by the International Association of Geodesy (IAG),
and its key services, the UN Office of Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA),
and the International Federation of  Surveyors (FIG). The IAG letter
of endorsement is also attached to this message. The project will be
run primarily under the auspices of the Committee for Development
Information - Geo- Information, (CODI-GEO) of the United Nations
Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA).

All interested organizations are encouraged to respond to this Call
for Participation (CFP) as this is indeed an important project that
has been discussed and the subject of a number of organizational
meetings within the geodetic community for the past few years.   For
AFREF to succeed, organizations, agencies, partners - private, public
and commercial - need to consider what they can contribute and pledge
support as outlined in this CFP.

Note that the initial time for expression of interest is October 21,
however are welcome at anytime. The AFREF Steering Committee plans to
meet the week of Nov 1, if any responses could be prepared by October
28, I suggest to send a message as requested in the CFP to Dr. Dozie
Ezigbalike:
	ezigbalike.uneca at un.org
with a copy to:
	afref_sc at igscb.jpl.nasa.gov
    === Please place "AFREF CFP" in the message Subject! ===
This secondary email is established in the interim to support the
Steering Committee planning. As the project evolves, both this and
AFREFMail will be relocated to a center within Africa.
	http://igscb.jpl.nasa.gov/mail/afref/afref.html

Congratulations are due the Steering Committee for the coordinated
and concerted effort to prepare this CFP.  Best wishes for success!

kind regards - Ruth

--

                                  IGS Central Bureau
International GNSS Service - Formerly International GPS Service