[IGSMAIL-3149]: Alert - SOPAC Anonymous FTP

Brent Gilmore bgilmore at ucsd.edu
Thu Dec 28 13:26:53 PST 2000

IGS Electronic Mail      28 Dec 13:26:55 PST 2000      Message Number 3149

Author: Brent Gilmore and Yehuda Bock
Subject: Alert - SOPAC Anonymous FTP

Dear Colleagues,

SOPAC maintains an anonymous FTP server providing GPS data archives
(ftp://lox.ucsd.edu/).  Over the last few years, the FTP server has
been requesting an e-mail address as the password when logging in as
anonymous. However, the server was not configured to force a
properly formatted e-mail address.

Our colleagues and program managers have requested more detailed
statistics on the usage of our archive. In an attempt to identify who
is utilizing the GPS archive we plan to enforce proper e-mail
addresses as passwords starting January 8, 2001. There is a
configuration option in our FTP server that will require standard RFC
882 e-mail addresses as passwords (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc822/#z8).

SOPAC requests that our user community provide accurate e-mail
addressing when using the SOPAC GPS archive.  The e-mail addresses
will be kept confidential, with the exception of the domain names
(e.g., uscd.edu).  This information will help us identify the
organizations that are utilizing the archive.

We are also planning to send a brief questionnaire to users of the
archive so that we may understand how the data are being used and by
whom.

Please respond to us with any concerns you might have regarding these
actions, at bgilmore at ucsd.edu and ybock at ucsd.edu.

We appreciate your assistance.

Happy Holidays!