[IGSMAIL-3120]: NTUS temporarily unavailable

Boudewijn Ambrosius Boudewijn.Ambrosius at lr.tudelft.nl
Fri Dec 1 14:40:21 PST 2000

IGS Electronic Mail      01 Dec 14:40:24 PST 2000      Message Number 3120

Author: Boudewijn Ambrosius & Danny van Loon (DEOS/DUT)

Following up on IGS-mail #2931, we have to report that during the past
5 months, the data flow from NTUS (Singapore) has gradually become
increasingly erratic, and finally came to a full stop on day 294. Due
to the long distance, it was difficult to assess the problem. In
October, Danny van Loon visited the station and tested alternative
cables, antennas and locations. The problem could not be localized.
Eventually we had the receiver returned to Delft and tested it in
Kootwijk. Initially it seemed OK, but after a short while the same
problems (frequent loss of lock) appeared. By chance, Danny found that
the receiver (AOA SNR-12 ACT #229) worked well when he connected it to
an external frequency source. So, the problem seems to be with the
internal clock. Around the same time, two other AOA receivers broke
down in Kootwijk (KOSG). Therefore, we will keep #229 at KOSG for the
time being. Another unit has been shipped to AOA for repair and will be
installed at NTUS asap.

We are very embarrassed with the situation. Local support by Singapore
staff has been excellent. However, the frequent mysterious break-downs
of AOA equipment are difficult to diagnose at remote locations. We
sincerely hope NTUS will be back on-line soon. We regret the
inconvenience these problems may (have) cause(d).

Boudewijn and Danny