[IGSMAIL-3114]: Corrections to Network Workshop Summary, IGSMAIL 3105

Ruth E. Neilan rneilan at mail1.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 27 16:52:40 PST 2000

IGS Electronic Mail      27 Nov 16:49:57 PST 2000      Message Number 3114

Author: Ruth Neilan

Dear colleagues,

In the Oslo Network Workshop Summary, I mistakenly wrote that Jan
Dousa received the Best Poster Presentation Award for a paper titled
'On Hourly Orbit Determination', co-authored by  Leos Mervart. The
award was actually for Jan's individual poster "The Impact of
Ultra-rapid Orbits on Precipitable Water Vapor Estimation Using
Ground GPS Network". I am sorry for this mistake and any confusion it
may have caused  -- thanks to Hans-Peter Plag for bringing this to my
attention.  Again, many thanks to Ashtech for their generous
contribution to the IGS.

I'd also like to clarify a point in the same summary concerning the
data formats issue - it is important to note that there are two
format issues being discussed: one for LEO GPS flight data and one to
support a future real-time GPS network within the IGS.

In Oslo there was consensus that there is no reason to go to a binary
exchange format for file-based LEO GPS or high-rate ground network
data, provided the RINEX observation file format can accommodate the
requirements for the data (type, resolution, etc). Thanks to Hatanaka
the compressed RINEX file is superior to any known binary format with
respect to disk space requirements.

There was also an agreement that a binary exchange format may be
needed for streamed data if such data should be made available (in
real time, i.e. in streamed form) to the general public.

More information on these discussions and proposals will be
forthcoming from  Werner Gurtner, who is responsible for the RINEX
definition, the LEO Working Group and the committee established at
the Oslo workshop to address real-time data formats.  (ref. IGSMail #
3106 from Angelyn Moore).

Any further questions, corrections, or clarifications, please advise,

sincere regards,

Ruth

IGS Central Bureau/Jet Propulsion Laboratory
tel: 818-354-8330, fax: 818-393-6686
       <ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov>