[IGSMAIL-2533] Hector Mine earthquake (M7.1) coseismic

USGS-SCIGN USGS-SCIGN
Tue Oct 19 00:41:58 PDT 1999

IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Oct 19  0:41:58 PDT 1999      Message Number 2533

Author: USGS-SCIGN group
Subject: Hector Mine earthquake (M7.1) coseismic

This is to notify people that the initial coseismic
displacement results for SCIGN stations have been
computed and are now available at our group's web
page.

  http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/scign/Analysis/

In the morning we'll be working on a fully
combined solution for all sites. There have been
some technical difficulties to overcome, and some
additional difficulties remain to be overcome still.

We are hoping, of course, that further analysis will
show these initial results to be good. In the meantime
though, we felt the need to get something out even if
we realize it may not be technically as rigorous as
we'd like it to be. I think the error ellipses on the
'intermediate field' separate vector plot may be too
conservative, but that may (hopefully) be OK in
case we've made mistakes. A fair bit of cross-checking
has gone into these solutions, between work that
Nancy King and Jeff Behr have been doing using some
different approaches to the problem. A simple model
Duncan Agnew did, based on the surface rupture obser-
vations and moment tensor solutions, agrees reasonably
well with the initial displacements obtained from SCIGN.
More information on modelling, etc. will be the next
step and results will be available on this later.

The automated system for producing solutions once
every 24 hours did not work quite right, so all of what
we are now posting has been hand-checked and was
produced manually (using the automated scripts to
help expedite some aspects of the work).

We wish it had been possible to get results out more
quickly, and we now know what needs fixing to do better
for future earthquakes. We hope you find these results
of interest.

For more general information about this earthquake,
please refer to the following web sites:

  http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/hector.html
  http://quake.usgs.gov/hectormine/
  http://www.iris.washington.edu/DOCS/hectorMine.htm
  http://www.scecdc.scec.org/recenteqs/
  http://www.trinet.org/shake.html

 Kenneth W. Hudnut          mailto:hudnut at usgs.gov
 USGS, 525 S. Wilson Ave.     Phone: (626)583-7232
 Pasadena, California 91106   FAX:   (626)583-7827
       http://www-socal.wr.usgs.gov/hudnut/

[Mailed From: Ken Hudnut <hudnut at gps.caltech.edu>]