[IGSMAIL-2151] MAG0: Radiomodem power outage

RDAAC LDEO Grigory
Tue Feb 9 07:58:50 PST 1999

IGS Electronic Mail      Tue Feb  9  7:58:50 PST 1999      Message Number 2151

Author: Grigory Steblov (RDAAC) and Mikhail Kogan (LDEO)
Subject: MAG0: Radiomodem power outage

Site Name                : Seismic Station Magadan
Four Character ID        : MAG0
IERS DOMES Number        : 12354M001

LOCATION:       Magadan, East Siberia, Sea of Okhotsk margin, Russia
                NEDA: Northern Eurasia Deformation Array created and run by
                RUSEG: Russia/US Experiment on Geodynamics by GPS Technology.
                NEDA operational control is provided by RDAAC:
                Regional GPS Data Acquistion/Analysis Center, Moscow, Russia
                (contact Grigory Steblov: steblov at ria.ipmnet.ru)

Dear Colleagues,

There is a temporary power outage which affected the radiomodem communication
between the GPS receiver on top of the mountain and the computer down in
the city of Magadan. This happened on 5-FEB-99. The power should have been
recovered by 9-FEB-99.

We hope that the data for days 5-FEB through 9-FEB were not lost due to the
battery backup of the GPS receiver.

The radiomodem equipment used there consumes a lot and cannot be
backed up with batteries. We can replace it with portable, low-consumption
Free Wave radiomodems immediately but the procedure of the spread spectrum
frequencies authorization with the Communications Authority is lengthy.

We are sorry for the inconvenience incurred.

Regards,

Grigory Steblov
Regional GPS Data Acquistion/Analysis Center, Moscow
Email: steblov at ria.ipmnet.ru
Tel: +7 095-434-3249

Mikhail Kogan
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory