[IGSMAIL-1459] The SOPAC ARCHIVE is implementing a new FTP server

Jeff Jeff
Thu Oct 17 12:33:21 PDT 1996

IGS Electronic Mail      Thu Oct 17 12:33:21 PDT 1996      Message Number 1459

Author: Jeff Dean
Subject: The SOPAC ARCHIVE is implementing a new FTP server

The SOPAC ARCHIVE is implementing a new FTP server.

The following changes will take effect starting Oct 17 1996.
The old file server toba.ucsd.edu will still remain active
until Nov 1 1996.  From this date on please direct all
activity to lox.ucsd.edu (132.239.152.86).

The directory structure of our new archive will be:

	pub
		rinex
		raw
		products
		combinations
		hfiles
		gfiles

		docs
		utilities

Our FTP daemon supports on-the-fly compression, decompression
and tar.  For example if you are interested in the file FILEA.Z,
you may request `get FILEA`.  This will decompress the file and
send the decompressed file to you. If you want to get FILEB,
but FILEB is not compressed, you may `get FILEB.Z` to compress
it and send it you.  The same applies for gzip, just add the
".gz" extension.  If you want an entire directory of data, you just
select the directory of choice and just add ".tar" extension.
For example:
		bin
		get 288.tar # you will receive the entire 288 dir
		get 288.tar.Z # you will receive the entire 288
			tarred and compressed

NOTE: FOR DIRECTORIES THAT ARE LINKS TO OTHER DEVICES, YOU MUST
CD TO THE DIRECTORY OF CHOICE, CD UP ONE DIRECTORY, THEN PERFORM
THE ABOVE OPERATIONS.

The following additional tools are available to help you find
information about our archive.  Using the 'finger' utility you can
access information from the desktop without logging into the ftp
server directly.  If finger is not available on your system you may
download t from our utilities directory.

finger -l datareq at lox.ucsd.edu
	This will return a data request form for you to fill out
	and send to pgga at pgga.ucsd.edu with information about the
	data that you wish to have placed on-line.

finger -l gweek at lox.ucsd.edu
	This will return the current month's calendar broken down into GPS week
	and day of year as well as day of month.

finger -l help at lox.ucsd.edu
	This will return the above information.

finger -l reruns at lox.ucsd.edu
	This will return the status of our current reruns.

Mail jdean at ucsd.edu with comments and suggestions.
Jeff Dean
SOPAC

[Mailed From: jdean at pgga.UCSD.EDU]